Areas of Law / Public Law

The council have been putting in a pedestrian crossing outside my shop, and customers have been unable to park while the work has been going on. It’s made a huge impact on my business turnover. Am I entitled to any compensation?

It depends whether the highway authority was carrying out “necessary” repair and maintenance work. If the work, or the way it was carried out, was not necessary, the authority may be liable to pay compensation to occupiers of neighbouring property physically affected by it. The installation of a pedestrian crossing would probably be regarded as part of the authority’s essential repair and maintenance programme. You could submit a claim for your lost profits, but a crossing is likely to be seen as necessary since it is in the public interest.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms