Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

The bin men don’t come into our road and there’s no street lighting. I withheld £50 from my council tax, explaining it was for services they don’t provide. The council replied that they could eventually start proceedings against me. Should I continue to dig my heels in?

No. If you carry on short-changing the council they are likely to commence proceedings in the County Court to recover the money. The arrears will be added to your next bill. You are not entitled to withhold payment for services you feel you don’t receive; thousands of people with no children are contributing to the country’s massive education budget! The residents in your street should discuss the refuse collection and lighting issues with your local councillor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms