Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

What steps need to be taken by a prospective bridegroom, before the wedding takes place, so that he can adopt his new wife’s surname, as opposed to the other way round?

None. You can use whatever name you choose, and marriage is probably the easiest way of formalising a change of name. A marriage certificate is generally accepted by banks, the DWP and the like as proof that you have indeed changed your name. However since the bridegroom in this case is behaving slightly unconventionally it’s possible he will run into difficulty, in which case he could have a change of name deed prepared by a solicitor for a relatively small sum.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms