Areas of Law / Property

My son and his girlfriend bought a house in joint names. When she left him he had trouble paying the mortgage and I ploughed £7,000 into the house. But when we tried to sell it seven years later the girlfriend reappeared demanding half the proceeds. Am I entitled to anything?

Generally a joint owner can expect a half share when a property comes to be sold. A court may agree with you that the girlfriend should receive less, but it would be expensive to establish exactly what she is entitled to. Unfortunately the court would be likely to conclude that the money you put into the house was a gift to your son, and (unless you have evidence to the contrary) didn’t give you a stake in the property. You would probably be throwing good money after bad if you pursued this.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms