Areas of Law / Property

Some years ago I asked my neighbour to remove some tree branches which overhung my garden. He did this, but has since allowed the trees to grow unchecked. What are my legal rights if they damage my property either above or below ground?

You appear to have a working relationship with your neighbour. Not everyone is so lucky, and I’d be reluctant to jeopardise it over tree branches. Your neighbour will only be liable for damage if it was “foreseeable”. So if you warn him of potential danger in a letter then he will be responsible if your fears turn out to be justified. If the roots or branches were to damage your house your first port of call would be your buildings insurance.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms