Areas of Law / Property

We sold our house and rented a property last year. Since then we’ve bought a house to refurbish and sell (although we’re still living in the rented property), and are now about to buy a home for ourselves. Will we have to pay the new increase in stamp duty?

Although your “main residence” currently is your rented property, the fact remains that when you do come to buy a home of your own you will have two properties, not one, and so the new rates of 3% on the first £125,000, 5% on the amount between £125,000 and £250,000 etc are likely to apply to the purchase. However assuming you sell the investment property within 36 months of the home purchase, you should be able to claim a refund from HMRC of the extra sums you have paid in stamp duty.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms