Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

My sister rents out a house and was given a cheque for £695 which she presented three times. By the third time it had been cancelled, but the bank refused to disclose whether the tenant’s account was still open. Is there any way this money can be recovered?

I take it the tenant has now left. Ideally the deposit should cover a failure to pay the rent, and landlords should take action at the first hint of trouble. If the tenant has now moved on and your sister knows his whereabouts (and thinks he may have some money) she can take out a claim in the County Court. Knowingly writing a cheque that will bounce can be a criminal offence, and amount to obtaining a financial advantage by deception.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms