Areas of Law / Conveyancing

My sister and I equally inherited our late parents’ home, which is not registered at the Land Registry since they bought it in the early ‘50s. There is no mortgage on the house. I wish to buy my sister’s share. Do I need to employ a solicitor or inform anyone, or can we do it ourselves?

Have you obtained probate in order to transfer the property into your names? If it remains unregistered it suggests you haven’t. I think you may need a solicitor’s help to deal with this and with the first registration (which is required by law these days), and solicitors’ fees in this area are very reasonable. Certainly if you require a mortgage in order to buy your sister’s share the lender is likely to insist that you have legal assistance to complete the transfer.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms