Areas of Law / Property

Shortly after I moved in my Council Tax Band was reviewed and my property was put in a higher band. I appealed, but the Valuation Officer won, having compared my house to another nearby. He claimed it was smaller than mine, but I don’t agree and feel I should have been told about the possibility of a revaluation. My house was extended before the previous owner moved in. Is there anyone else I can appeal to?

I’m afraid the Valuation Tribunal’s decision is final. It might have been worth engaging a surveyor to put your case by comparing your property with others in the area. It sounds as though the previous owner got away with it. If the extension had been recent your solicitor may have spotted it on the Land Registry plan and flagged up a possible council tax band review.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms