Areas of Law / Consumer Law

Several months ago my daughter paid a £500 deposit for a wedding reception at a hotel over Christmas. The marriage is off, and my daughter asked for her money back, but the hotel says it has a policy of not returning deposits. Can we get them to refund the money?

When you put down a deposit it usually means you’re committing yourself to completing the transaction. If you don’t fulfil your side of the bargain and there’s nothing in the paperwork to suggest that you can have your money back on cancellation, your deposit is usually forfeit. If your daughter had cancelled the booking earlier it’s possible the hotel would have given her a refund out of goodwill.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms