Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We rent out a small bungalow. The present tenant gave us notice that she was leaving, but now wants to stay on because she hasn’t found anywhere else. She seems to think we’ll have to put up with it. We don’t know what to do about it.

The tenant’s notice brought your agreement to an end, so you can go to court to obtain a possession order. If you want your house back I suggest you see a solicitor to obtain the order as quickly as possible. However this will cost you money, and if your tenant is continuing to pay rent you may reach the conclusion that there’s nothing lost if she does stay on. If she leaves without giving adequate notice you will be entitled to withhold some of her deposit to compensate you for lost rental income.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms