Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

A relative died leaving no will and only a small amount of money to be divided among cousins. The administrator won’t sign the form so the money can be distributed; it’s now been going on for two years, and there isn’t enough money for it to go to probate. Can one of the other cousins take over as administrator?

You say there isn’t enough money to go to probate, but talk of an “administrator” suggests that the cousin has already been granted letters of administration by the Probate Registry. Once a personal representative has been appointed you may have to apply to the Chancery Division of the High Court to have them removed. If you tell the person concerned that this is what you have in mind it might have the desired effect of making them get a move on. 

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms