Areas of Law / Property

My partner took out a mortgage with his previous girlfriend when they bought a house ten years ago. They split up shortly afterwards, but he stayed on in the house. He now wants to sell it, but he has no idea of his ex-girlfriend’s whereabouts. Is it possible to sell the house without her consent?

It is possible, but he’d have to go to court to do so and the court would want to know what efforts had been made to trace the woman, since she is co-owner of the property. It should be possible to find her via a tracing agency, and I suggest your partner sees a solicitor about engaging one. They generally only charge if they’re successful, and if they fail your partner can ask the court to contact the DSS and the passport office to locate her.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms