Areas of Law / Child Law

Our son had a relationship with a girl some years ago, which produced our only granddaughter, who is now seven. The couple split up, and our son has been paying maintenance. We now discover that the mother has married and is planning to emigrate. We thought our son’s consent would be required for his daughter to be taken abroad?

It’s possible your son won’t have “parental responsibility” for his daughter unless he’s taken steps to acquire it. He could apply for parental responsibility now and object to the move, but unless he’s been an important part of her life it’s likely the court would grant permission for your granddaughter to be taken abroad. However it would probably impose conditions to allow your son a continuing relationship by contact, whether indirect or direct or both. Discuss this further with a solicitor specialising in family matters.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms