Areas of Law / Property

My neighbours have a cypress leylandii boundary hedge which is overgrown and restricts the usable area for parking my car. I have asked them to maintain the hedge; what more can I do?

You can ask the council to intervene where a neighbour’s evergreen or semi evergreen hedge interferes with the “reasonable enjoyment of your home and garden”. But this would cost you money and you have to be able to show that you have made an attempt to resolve the problem with your neighbour. Ask the neighbour if you can reduce the hedge to two metres in height. Either way you are entitled to cut it back to the boundary as long as you offer to return the branches since they belong to your neighbour.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms