Areas of Law / Property

My neighbour has banked earth up against the end wall of my house 2ft above the level of my damp course. I’m trying to sell the property, and am worried that a surveyor will spot damp in the wall and it will hold up a sale. The neighbour says it would be too much effort to move the soil. Can I force him to do so without getting into legal costs?

If your neighbour’s actions have breached your damp course you will probably be able to get a court order telling him to move the earth and compensate you for any remedial work. This could of course involve you in legal costs. You will probably have to mention the dispute during the process of selling your house, and that in itself could hold up the sale.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms