Areas of Law / Insurance law

My wife was involved in a minor accident when she ran into the back of a van. There appeared to be no damage to either vehicle but we have now received bill from the van owner’s insurance company for more than £700 of repairs. What should we do?

You could obviously pass the bill on to your insurance company, lose some of your no-claims bonus and pay whatever excess you’ve agreed. Alternatively you could defend the claim, in which case write to your insurers quickly telling them what you intend. I suggest you ask to see the repair shop’s photos of the damage; it’s normal practice in insurance claims to take pictures before commencing repairs. If the van owner can’t produce any and the matter came to court it would look suspicious and help your defence.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms