Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My wife has Alzheimer’s and I am worried that she may need to go into care. I was told that she will have to pay, but I now hear that in the case of mental issues this rule does not apply.

This has been in the news lately because people with physical illnesses such as heart disease or cancer qualify for treatment paid for by the NHS, while those suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia often require assistance funded by the local authority, which is means tested. If your wife has to go into a care home the local authority may not be able to take the value of your property into account while you are still living there, but currently your wife will be expected to pay while she has more than £23,250 in savings. Ring the Alzheimer’s Society on 0300 222 1122 or visit their website.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms