Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My wife and I are giving our house to our two children on the understanding that we can live here to the end of our days but I’’m told that if either or both of us have to go into a nursing home the children would be held responsible for the charges involved. Is this correct, and if so can it be avoided?

The local authority could refuse to pay your care home fees if it can prove you gave your house away to avoid paying them but if you don’’t need residential care in the near future it could be that your motives won’’t come under scrutiny. You must take legal advice before giving your house away: you could end up losing your house, and you could just land your children with a capital gains tax bill.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms