Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My three-year-old son has been living with me for the past two years, but a fortnight ago my ex-girlfriend refused to bring him back. I do have parental responsibility, and I’ve been told I should apply for a residence order. Is everything stacked in favour of the mother?

It’s true to say that the courts frequently hold that younger children especially are better off with their mother. If you’d gone to court earlier to resolve the issue of where your son was to live, you may well have found that he ended up living with your ex-girlfriend if she had contested this. At this stage the court will no doubt take a dim view of her actions, but their prime concern will be the welfare of your son. If you apply for an interim residence order it’s likely that the case will be heard fairly quickly.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms