Areas of Law / Insurance law

My son, who’s six, fell against a car while riding his bike and scratched it. Now the owners have come to me with a bill for £440! Do I have to pay this?

You are not responsible for damage caused by your son unless you were partly to blame, for example if you had allowed him to ride your own bike which was much too big for him. The owners of the car could attempt to sue your son in the County Court, but unless he has a healthy bank account it’s unlikely that he would be able to pay any judgement awarded against him. If the damage really cost £440 to repair and you felt a moral obligation to the car owners, it’s possible that your domestic insurance will cover you for accidental damage caused by members of your family.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms