Areas of Law / Employment

My son started work for a double-glazing firm a month ago on a self-employed basis. He is supposed to be paid weekly, but although they are promising to pay him he has yet to receive any money.

If your son has to work as and when directed by the firm it’s likely that he is employed, not self-employed. This is an important distinction, since self-employed people have no employment protection. If the situation continues he can apply to an employment tribunal for a ruling as to his employment status and for his pay. If the tribunal accepts he is employed by the firm it could order them to pay him compensation. Alternatively he could bring a claim for his money in the small claims court.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms