Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My son-in-law died recently. I understand that my granddaughter may be entitled to his share of the estate left by her paternal grandfather when he dies. How would my granddaughter, or my daughter on her behalf, go about making such a claim following his death?

Your question seems slightly premature. If your son-in-law’s father doesn’t leave a will, then the share that would have passed to his son will now pass to his issue, ie your granddaughter if he had no other children. However if his estate is sizeable enough to worry about the chances are that he has made a will, and will probably update it now his son has died. In that case he can leave his money and property more or less as he chooses.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms