Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My mother died four years ago leaving her share of the house to my father and, on his death, to me. I have moved back into their home to look after my father, who is now talking about going into a nursing home. Will he have to sell the house to pay the fees, or would my mother’s will be taken into account?

Your father would have to pay all of the fees if he has savings of more than £23,250 but the value of his share of the house would not be taken into account if you are aged over 60 or are disabled, and in any case its value may be assessed as “nil” while you are living there. It’’s a complicated area and your father should get detailed advice. You should also ask a solicitor to check the exact terms of the will.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms