Areas of Law / Small Business Legal Advice

My husband took over his father’s ailing business, and a few years later his brother put some money in with a view to his son taking over one day. But the firm dwindled and the son wasn’t interested in joining. My husband is now retired, but his brother’s widow is trying to claim the money back from the business. Is she entitled to anything?

You don’t say what happened to the business when your husband retired. If it was sold, or if it closed down and the assets were sold off, the brother or his wife may have been entitled to a share of the proceeds. However it’s not clear whether the brother inherited the firm together with your husband, or what was agreed at the time. You need to discuss this in more detail with a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms