Areas of Law / Employment

My husband is a skilled engineer and has worked for a small company for ten years. The company hasn’’t been doing very well recently and they’’ve told him that his sickness allowance has been halved and he’’s to have eight days’ less holiday this year. He’’s worked hard to get these increases; can his employers take them away just like that?

As a general rule they are not allowed to vary the terms of your husband’s contract without his consent. But the firm may be able to successfully defend measures required to keep the firm afloat. If the firm’s directors are also showing signs of belt-tightening your husband may have to accept temporary changes, but he should make it clear that they’’re for a limited period only. His holidays can’’t be cut below the statutory minimum of 28 days.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms