Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My husband divorced his first wife about 30 years ago. He put a block on the sale of the house he left his wife in, and she died last year. The house has now been sold, and my husband is supposed to be getting some money from it, but we’ve heard nothing more. What is he entitled to?

If the executors have been able to sell the house it suggests it was in the first wife’s sole name, otherwise your husband’s signature would have been required. His block on the sale of the property will probably have expired when he received his decree absolute. I take it no financial settlement was reached at the time. It could be very difficult to claim a share of his ex-wife’s property after 30 years. Discuss it in detail with a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms