Areas of Law / Debt matter

My husband died two months ago. I have now received a letter from the bank asking for the person who is dealing with his estate to recover some money he borrowed in his name only. I can’t afford to repay this because there’s still a mortgage on the house and I only receive the state pension. Am I bound to pay it?

Don’t repay the loan out of your own money. Your husband’s debts will be met from his estate if possible, but if he owned nothing else it’s possible his creditors will seek repayment from his share of your house. If your house is in joint names it will normally become yours outright by survivorship. However under provisions included in the Insolvency Act 2000 it’s possible for creditors to claim what they’re owed from property transferred in this way. See a solicitor about this urgently.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms