Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My ex-wife remarried in September 2007 and my maintenance payments to her should have stopped. Unfortunately my payments were made by attachment of earnings and I wasn’t able to change the order until the following April, by which time she had received £1,000 she wasn’t entitled to. If I’m asked to start paying maintenance for the children again, should either of them go to college, can I refuse?

It may be too late to get the money back from your ex-wife now, simply because there’s a six-year time limit within which you must begin court proceedings to recover money you are owed. If you’re asked for further maintenance for the children it’s likely that a court (or the Child Maintenance Service) would regard payments made to your wife and payments made to your children as completely separate issues.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms