Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

My daughter rents a room in a house-share. She is a careful tenant, but feels harassed by the landlord, who frequently goes into the house when he knows the tenants are at work. What is the best way of dealing with this?

There are potentially severe penalties for landlords who harass their tenants. Ideally the tenants should ask a solicitor to write to the landlord insisting that he gives seven days’ notice of any intended visit, pointing out that he is interfering with their “quiet enjoyment” of the property, and threatening an injunction if he persists in entering the property unannounced. Your daughter’s tenancy agreement should specify the frequency and notice required for an inspection by the landlord. Your daughter would probably be within her rights to change the locks.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms