Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My daughter is married to a man who has two grown-up children. If he were to die, would his children be able to claim from his estate?

If he made a will leaving everything to your daughter it’s unlikely his children would have any claim, unless he was supporting them financially at the time of his death. If he didn’t make a will the children may be entitled to a portion of his estate, depending on how much he was worth. If the couple’s house is in joint names, for example, it will usually belong to the survivor on the first death. Ideally your son-in-law should set up a trust, perhaps giving his children a share of his property after both he and your daughter have died.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms