Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

My daughter is a tenant and has been complaining about the boiler for two years. The gas certificate was six months out of date, and the gas board have now condemned the boiler saying my daughter and her children are lucky to be alive. Can she sue the landlord for endangering their lives?

I don’’t think your daughter would be successful in suing her landlord for putting the family at risk. Generally you can only claim compensation for “damages”, in other words actual loss or injury, however your daughter should report the landlord to the Health and Safety Executive (0845 300 9923) which polices the Gas Certificate scheme. Landlords can be fined or even imprisoned for failure to have appliances checked every 12 months. If your daughter smelt gas she should have reported it to the National Grid without delay.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms