Areas of Law / Property

My daughter’s next door neighbour has put a padlocked gate across the access road at the back of her house which she bought from the council two years ago. The neighbour has given keys to the owners of the houses further down the lane who are directly affected, but it means workmen, window cleaners and the like can’’t get through.

If your daughter’s neighbour has bought her house it’s possible she has bought her part of the lane at the back as well. In this case she may be entitled to put up a gate as long as she provides access for the houses further down. Unless your daughter has a right of way over the whole lane she may not have a say in the matter: she should check her title deeds to see what the position is, or ask a solicitor to do so.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms