Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My children were left some money in a trust by a relative, but the sole trustee has disappeared. The children have account books but can’t access the money, and the bank says they won’t get it until the trustee signs the money over to them. I can’t see this ever happening. What will happen to the money?

You (or your children if they are now old enough) will have to apply to the court for directions. The court (the Chancery Division of the High Court) has the power to appoint trustees on your children’s behalf. Alternatively, if the children have now reached an age where they are due to receive the money, the court could make an order for the bank to pay the money over to them. This is an expensive procedure though. An enquiry agent may be able to find the missing trustee.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms