Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My car hit a bridge which was being maintained by contractors employed by the council. There were no signs to warn of the danger. The council said I should get in touch with the contractors: they in turn said it was the council’s responsibility. The contractors were said to be talking to their insurers, but three months later I still haven’’t had a response.

Write to the contractors setting out details of your claim and giving them 14 days in which to admit responsibility or pay up. If they continue to deny liability it may be necessary to make the council second defendants to your claim. It will help if you have photos of the accident and witnesses who will confirm that no warning signs were in place and that you weren’’t driving recklessly. You may need a solicitor’s help with this.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms