Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My brother and I were left my mother’s “interest” in her house in her will. The property was left in trust, allowing our stepfather to live in it until he either died or remarried. He has now remarried, and offered to buy half the house from us, which he says is “our” share, but we thought the whole property belonged to us.

The house may have been held by your mother and your stepfather as “tenants in common”, in which case the stepfather owns half and the will trust catches the other half. Now your stepfather has remarried the trustees can sell in order to realise your half share, or your stepfather can offer to buy your half share. Complicated provisions can apply where trusts are involved, so you should take a copy of the will and the title deeds to a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms