Areas of Law / Property

We are having our loft converted, and served a party wall structure notice. Our neighbour initially agreed to go ahead without a surveyor and signed the form we gave her. Then several weeks later she changed her mind and appointed a surveyor. Can she do this when she has already given consent?

You only need a “party wall award” from a surveyor where a dispute exists. You already have a signed document to the effect that there is no dispute. If you proceed without a surveyor’s award your neighbour could attempt to stop you by applying to the court for an injunction, but the court would need good reasons to grant such an injunction. You should show the signed document to a solicitor, but if you are employing an approved loft conversion firm your neighbour should have no grounds for legal action.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms