Areas of Law / Property

My late father-in-law was given permission to build a house on greenbelt land. However the property was built with an additional basement that was not approved. My mother-in-law wants to move house, and would like to get retrospective planning permission for the room, but is not sure whether it would be approved. What are her options?

You should probably take advice from a surveyor or architect with detailed knowledge of the planning laws. Generally speaking the local authority cannot take enforcement action over this type of breach after four years, so (assuming the basement has been there longer) it’s unlikely that a surveyor acting for a potential buyer would query permission for the basement. However local authorities do have powers to deal with concealed breaches. You could start by having an informal discussion with your local planning department about this.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms