Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

I’ve received a witness summons in a County Court case. I had no notice of this whatsoever, and the case is due to be heard while I’m abroad. Is there anything I can do?

The court has only limited powers to set aside a summons, for example on the grounds that you have no relevant evidence to give, the summons was obtained in bad faith, or it was oppressive. You, or preferably your solicitor, should contact the solicitors acting for the party who has summonsed you and request that they apply to adjourn the trial. Such an application may well fail, however, such are the pressures on court time. Take advice urgently, but don’t ignore the summons since you could be fined or sent to prison for contempt.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms