Areas of Law / Property

I’ve been involved in a relationship with a girl for more than ten years. Three-and-a-half years ago we bought a house together, but since I was a student at the time I couldn’t go on the mortgage. We’ve split up, and I wonder what my rights are. We’ve always divided the bills 50/50.

You have to establish you have an interest in the property, and as you are not a co-owner this can be difficult. If you can show that there was an agreement or common intention between you and your former girlfriend that you would have an interest in the property, a court will determine the value of that interest. See a solicitor about registering your interest at the Land Registry; this should prevent your former girlfriend from selling the property without your knowledge or consent.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms