Areas of Law / Property

I’m thinking of buying my father’s council house. He’s 85 and will qualify for the full discount. If he needed to go into a nursing home, would the council have a claim on the house to pay for his care?

Your father would need to draw up a declaration of trust stating that you were entitled to the property, or the proceeds from its sale, reflecting your part in its purchase. This would protect you in the event that your father had to go into a home, at which point the local authority would probably attempt to put a charge on the property. Alternatively your father could take out a private mortgage, with you as the lender. You should discuss the pros and cons with a solicitor, and also decide who is responsible for insuring and maintaining the property.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms