Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

I would like to change my first name. How would I go about it, and how much would it cost?

You can ask people to call you by whatever first name you prefer in everyday life: indeed you can alter your surname just as easily as long as you are an adult and your motive isn’’t fraudulent. However it’s possible your bank, and almost certainly institutions like the Department for Work and Pensions, will require something more formal. A solicitor would probably charge you around £75 plus VAT for preparing a change of name deed. There are special provisions relating to the change of a minor’s name, and, technically, forenames given at baptism can only be changed by Act of Parliament or Royal licence!

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms