Areas of Law / Employment

I have worked for a security firm for just under a year earning an average of £230 a week but when I took ten days’ holiday recently I was paid the equivalent of £146 a week. How can I get this sorted out?

You’re right that you should be paid for your holidays at the same rate as when you’re working. You need to check your contract to make sure that you’re not taking into account non-contractual (ie voluntary) overtime when working out your average pay, and that you were taking leave that you were owed. I suggest you ask your employer for written details of how he worked out your holiday pay and then take advice to confirm that your own calculations are correct. You can apply to an employment tribunal over an illegal deduction from wages.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms