Areas of Law / Employment

I work in a petrol station. From time to time, customers fill their vehicles with fuel and drive off without paying. Does the manager have the right to deduct the amount of the “drive-off” from our wages?

Your employer cannot deduct anything from your wages unless there is a term in your written contract of employment permitting this. Even then, the amount that can be deducted from the wages of employees in a retail business is limited. However I would have thought that an employment tribunal would be likely to rule that any deduction from your wages in such a case was unreasonable, as long as the thefts are reported to the police. The tribunal could order your wages to be refunded, but you must make your complaint within three months of the deduction. 

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms