Areas of Law / Employment

I work in a bar, earning £150 a week basic but as much again in tips. Do I need to tell the taxman about the tips?

I’m afraid so. If you’re an employee your employers should make an adjustment to your tax code to take into account the extra you make from tips. If you’re self-employed the Inland Revenue will expect you to declare a certain amount from this type of income in your line of work. From the taxman’s point of view tips and wages are both regarded as taxable income. However tips, service charges, gratuities and cover charges cannot be used to make up national minimum wage pay. So eligible workers will receive at least the National Minimum Wage in base pay with any tips being paid on top.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms