Areas of Law / Small Business Legal Advice

I have a unit in a shopping arcade. The landlord got an electrician in to do some refurbishment work, and the electrician cut a wire which set off my shop alarm. The police came out and my alarm company charged me nearly £150 to repair the system. The landlord says I should take the matter up with the electricians, but they refuse to pay the bill.

You may be able to deduct the amount you had to pay the alarm company from your rent. You should write to your landlord telling them what you propose, and suggest they recover the money from their contractors. You could bring a small claim in court against both the landlord and the electricians and let them sort out between themselves who’s going to foot the bill.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms