Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I have two children by a previous marriage. My wife and I have made wills leaving everything to each other, but I am concerned that if I were to die first my children might get nothing and my wife’s relatives might have first claim on her estate. How can I overcome this?

You could write “mutual” wills, which are separate but related wills providing for the children on the second death. Under normal circumstances these cannot be revoked if they are not changed prior to the first death. However this would not prevent the disposal of assets, so you should perhaps consider setting up a trust to protect your children. Alternatively you could divide your shares in the family home. These are points that you should discuss with your solicitor in detail.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms