Areas of Law / Employment

I started working for a firm last year, and was dismissed with no notice recently because I took a day off to look after my children. Is there anything I can do about this?

I suggest you apply for an employment tribunal hearing. You are certainly entitled to a week’s pay in lieu of notice, and probably to some holiday pay. You may also have a claim for compensation for unfair dismissal. Generally speaking you can only make a claim for unfair dismissal if you have worked for your employer for more than two years. However you have a statutory right to take reasonable time off to care for dependants, and dismissal for asserting a statutory right is automatically unfair, even for those who have held their job for less than two years.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms