Areas of Law / Property

I have a panel fence at the end of my garden, and the house behind me used to have a similar fence with a gap of about 18 inches between the two. They have now removed their fence and are using the gap as part of their garden. My neighbours on both sides have maintained the gap. Can I ask for the gap and fence to be reinstated? It doesn’t show up on the title deeds.

It’s unlikely that so narrow a gap was used as a pathway.  It may have been kept there to assist with maintenance. Unless the deeds provide for access, or a right has been acquired over the gap by long usage as a footpath, then you cannot insist that your neighbour reinstates his fence.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms