Areas of Law / Consumer Law

I ordered a sofa bed six months ago and paid £600 in full by cheque. The firm has gone into voluntary liquidation, and although I was sent a claim form they say I am unlikely to get anything back. However they said I could reclaim the VAT after six months. How would I go about this?

You can only reclaim the VAT if you are VAT registered, although there are one or two rare exceptions to this rule, such as where you are building a new home to live in. As you are probably aware, you would in all likelihood have been entitled to a full refund if you had paid by credit card. I presume you have explored all the options, but if for example the firm was a member of any trade association you should contact them for advice. An order from a catalogue or from an advertisement can also afford some protection.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms